To create my plan I first wrote down all my tasks and then divided these into sub-tasks. I then estimated how much time each sub-task would take and also how much homework time this would take. I put the results into my task list worksheet which was saved as an Excel file and has since been converted to a web page. It is viewable here.
After doing this I was able to create a Gantt chart from which I would be able to monitor my progress as I completed tasks. The original Gantt chart was saved as a separate worksheet in the Excel file and is viewable here.
As I completed tasks, I added this information to my Gantt chart. Sometimes I completed tasks more quickly than I expected, at other times work went more slowly. After each task, I would have a checkpoint and review, where I would make notes on my progress and see what work still needed to be done. The final completed plan displaying all my progress was saved as a separate worksheet in the Excel file and can also be viewed here.
In order to help with planning and to monitor progress, I kept a project diary, with notes on the tasks I completed each day and my thoughts on what was still needed to be done. This is available to view here.